by Angela Counsel
The traditional milk and cookies for afternoon tea. We all remember having it after school. I still have it ready for the kids when they come home from school. It’s a nice tradition that has been passed down generation after generation. But THIS version is a whole lot healthier. No sugar, no additives, no preservatives. It will really get them in the headspace for homework or just chilling out when they get home from a tough day at school.
ALMOND MILK (the milk bit!)
1. Soak 1 cup of almonds in water overnight (optional step) OR
2. Place 1 cup of almonds in a blender/food processor with 4 cups of filtered water
3. Whizz it up until the almonds are all mashed up (mashed up is so the technical term!)
4. Strain the almond meal from the liquid. I use a nutbag but you can use a clean cloth.
5. Voila! Almond milk in the fridge ready for Milk and Cookies.
NB: Almond milk lasts for about 5 days in the fridge. You can also use it on cereals or to whip up a smoothie.
RAW CACAO BALLS (the cookies bit!)
1. Using the leftover almond meal (from milk above), place almond meal back in food processor
2. Add 1 cup medjool dates (seeds removed), 1/2 cup raw cacao powder and 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
3. Mix all ingredients together.
4. Roll into balls and place in freezer for about 10 minutes to go hard and then enjoy.
Whip up a berry smoothie using the almond milk you’ve already made, grab some yummy cacao balls and you have the perfect afternoon snack for you AND the kids.