Does being on the pill stop menopause?
I have had many women tell me that their doctor suggests that they go on (or stay on) the Pill to stop them from going through menopause. This is complete nonsense!!
Let’s start with some facts.
- Menopause is the cessation of periods and is deemed to have occurred once you have not had a period for 12months. Menopause is simply a line in the sand. Before menopause you are in peri-menopause and after you are post-menopausal.
- Periods will stop once you no longer ovulate, this is when you egg supply has been depleted.
- Irregular periods that can occur prior to menopause is due to the fact that you will not be ovulating every month
- Menopause is a natural stage of life which will happen to all women who have ever menstruated. It is not a disease that needs to be medicated
- The symptoms that are often associated with menopause (peri and post) are due to hormonal imbalances and whilst they are common, they are not normal
- When you are on the pill you don’t ovulate
- The bleed that occurs when you are on the pill in not a period (because you haven’t ovulated) it is a withdrawal bleed from the pill
- Being on the pill stops you from ovulating and having a period so you are in a “chemically induced” menopause
- The pill causes hormonal imbalances in women and when you stop taking it you are more likely to experience symptoms which are associated with menopause.
If your doctor has suggested that you be on the pill so that you can avoid menopause, ask them some questions? For example:
- How will the pill stop you from going through menopause?
- What will happen when you stop taking the pill?
- Will you experience any symptoms when you stop taking the pill?
- What is the risk of using the pill as you get older?
Please listen to the innate intelligence of your body, nature doesn’t make mistakes. Menopause is a natural transition from your reproductive years into the next stage of your life. If you are experiencing symptoms then address what is really going on for you. It is likely your hormones are out of balance, you are highly stressed or your liver is not functioning at an optimal level. All of these factors can be managed easily with diet, lifestyle and mindset changes along with some nutritional and herbal support.
If you are ready to take control of your health and life why not book a complimentary Discovery Call with me to learn how you can navigate your menopause transition with ease.